Re: Advice on adding USB support after an install

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 03:25:40PM -0700, Gary wrote:
> I just installed woody successfully, selecting the default
> installation. My OS release is 2.2.20. I don't think I installed any
> USB support. What course would you advice? Could you point me to
> instructions on adding USB support to 2.2.2 kernel? Can I update my
> distribution to b242 or vanilla through apt-get? Can I do an upgrde
> with my set of CDs to another fresher distribution with kernel support
> without totalling redoing my install? I would like to add an external
> hard drive through USB if I can.

You don't need to do anything.  I'm using a 2.2.20 woody kernel.  It was
compiled myself, but the standard debian kernels have nearly everything
(including what I compiled in) as modules.  I have a USB Logitech
QuickCam (supported USB-wise, but no drivers camera-wise exist :( ) and
a USB wireless mouse.

In the event 2.2.20 doesn't work, just apt-get install
kernel-image-2.4.18-686.

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER