Advice on adding USB support after an install

I just installed woody successfully, selecting the default
installation. My OS release is 2.2.20. I don't think I installed any
USB support. What course would you advice? Could you point me to
instructions on adding USB support to 2.2.2 kernel? Can I update my
distribution to b242 or vanilla through apt-get? Can I do an upgrde
with my set of CDs to another fresher distribution with kernel support
without totalling redoing my install? I would like to add an external
hard drive through USB if I can.