KDE gets a bum rap

I am running on a PIII, 500mhz clunker which I overclock to 575mhz. No
screamer by anyone's standards. I have 500m memory which is OK.

I started with KDE because it came with Knoppix. Along with the usual foibles
of unstable, I really have few complaints. While KDE applications do not
spring up instantaneously, they speed-daemons compared with OpenOffice which
is a "well-regarded" application.

I agree that less heavy applications would be better on much older systems.
One can, of course, run Debian without a GUI at all and use X with Ice or one
of the minimal WMs for a few GUI applications as needed.