Japanese fonts

I'm working on a web page for my the karate dojo that I train at, and
would like to type japanese characters in different fonts. I've
downloaded and installed a bunch of different japanese TT fonts, but
everything I type using the japanese input method uses only a plain
"Arial"-ish kind of font. Does anyone know how to setup/select fonts for
non-roman characters?

I'm using uim-anthy as my input method. The application I am attempting
to do this in is gimp 2.0.

Any help/hints would be greatly appreciated.

-davidc