How to match kernel_headers and kernel versions?

I have the 2.4.27 kernel running and needed a
kernel_headers_<version> to compile a native kernel
module (modem driver).  The latest headers package
offered for 2.4.x was 2.4.18 which is what I
installed.

I was able to compile the object but when I go to
"insmod" it into the kernel I am told that the version
doesn't match my kernel version and it bails.  Since
there is no kernel_version_2.4.27 (as far as I know)
available will I have to DOWNgrade my kernel to 2.4.18
in order to compile modules?

ejd