Re: ALSA --> Problem solved by "rm /etc/modprobe.conf"

On Monday 20 September 2004 03:00, James Cummings wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:53:10 -0600, Justin Guerin <jguerin@cso.atmel.com>
wrote:
> > Yes, it seems that package hasn't made it into unstable or testing yet.
> >  You have options, however.  1) you can do without sound and wait until
> > that package comes in, and then install it.  2) you can compile the
> > Alsa modules from source.  3) you can revert to 2.4.26 until the Alsa
> > modules package becomes available.  4) you can move to a 2.6 series
> > kernel.  Alsa is included in those kernels by default, so there is no
> > alsa-modules-2.6* package.
>
> How difficult is 2) ?  When I tried 4) previously my computer wouldn't
> boot for some reason (forget now but probably something to do with module
> dependencies) and I reverted to (then) 2.4.26

I have never compiled Alsa from source, so I can't fairly comment on how
difficult it is.  However, if you're comfortable compiling a kernel from
source, Alsa shouldn't be any harder.

If you want to try a 2.6 series again, start a new thread with your error
message, and we'll try to help you out.

> > It seems your sound card isn't being recognized.  Have you tried any
> > other modules using modconf?
>
> Yup, with similar results.

This is unexpected.  Well, if this and any of the other solutions mentioned
in other threads don't solve your problem, then I guess going to Alsa is
the only thing that's going to do it.

Justin