Re: Developing flash on debian

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 08:54:09AM -0400 or thereabouts, Michael Marsh wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 08:19:27 -0400, S.D.A. <dallan@rogers.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 07:54:13PM -0400 or thereabouts, Michael Marsh wrote:
> > > I don't think that's what Pigeon had in mind, useful though it is.
> > > I think what he(?) meant was something that extracts the navigation
> > > URLs within a flash animation so that the site is navigable.  For
> > > example, many sites have a flash-based homepage with no
> > > non-flash links presented, so if you're not running flash, the site
> > > is useless.
> >
> > Actually NOT so -- I would think these kind of Flash sites are in the minority,
> > at least in 2004.
>
> I never said they were in the majority.  "Many" isn't "most".

I dispute many as well. There are many sites using Flash technology that don't
have Flash splash pages. Most of the Internet news sites use Flash for Ad
signage.

> > Most of you are appear to be behind recent Flash technology which provides
> > developers with the ability to make their Flash available to people with
> > Disabilities. Of course the official Flash product provides this feature, often
> > 3rd party Flash applications don't provide any mechansim to make Flash
> > accessible.
>
> That's true -- I wasn't aware of that.  However, that doesn't address
> the issue that some people don't run Flash for one reason or another.
> Most of us have surrendered to Javascript, but that doesn't mean we
> have to surrender to Flash.  It's not only about accessibility for the
> disabled, it's about accessibility for people who don't want to run
> non-free software.

Well, Flash is only going to increase as it's perfect for creating interfaces to
the backend server side technology. If you disable Flash in the future, you're
going to eliminate some pretty important website functionality, on some
big websites.

BTW Flash technology is OPEN Source, it's NOT proprietary. Too much is said
that's not accurate regarding Flash.

> > Additonally many Flash developers don't make the obscene splash pages that we
> > all hate. Things have moved on, and improved. Not all Flash developers are
> > morons. ;)
>
> Of course.  There are sites, however (I've seen at least one recently,
> though I can't remember what it was) that format *all* of their pages
> (at least the ones available from their main entry page) entirely in
> Flash.

Well that's a mistake, at least at present (This will change though). It's a
perfect medium for making sites that translate well to Hand helds (PDAs).

I've seen a nice little Flash application that replaces PHPMyAdmin, in terms of
functionality and speed. This is the kind of Flash enabled application, that
developers are creating these days.

--
Steve
  Monday Sep 20 2004 09:01:01 AM EDT