Re: Install on Cobalt Appliance (RaQ 4) [SCANNED]

On 9/16/04 8:40 PM, "Paolo Alexis Falcone" wrote:

>> Some (a lot) install questions:
>> What is the best way to install? Using the x86 instructions for
>> installing while running linux? Will the serial port that gives me local
>> terminal access work during the entire install? Any other issues with
>> cobalts? What boot loader do I use?
>
> The cobalt raq4 uses x86 instructions.
>
> The easiest way so far is removing the hard disk then placing it on
> another machine (haven't tried a network install). From there you
> install debian on it then return the said disk to the cobalt chassis.
> Remove the kernel and bootloader packages before you return the disk.
>
> Now, the cobalt comes with a kernel embedded in its ROM, so normal
> booting with a bootloader won't work. If you want to make the LCD work
> you better stick with the 2.2 kernel that the cobalt ships with.
>
> Since you mentioned that you're using the RAQ550 - there's an
> experimental way of flashing its ROM to let you upgrade to a 2.4
> kernel - see ftp://ftp-eng.cobalt.com/pub/users/thockin/2.4/ for more
> info.
>
> If you want to use your own custom-compiled kernel,
> ftp://ftp.cobalt.sun.com/pub/developer/TechNotes/DTN21-0-0.pdf should
> give some info.

You may want to try BluePanel.org, they are currently working on a Debian
installer that uses the same method as a Cobalt OS restore disk. It also
comes with a GUI control panel for a RaQ like interface. There was a lot of
activity but seems to have dropped of about 2 months ago.

--
David Thurman
The Web Presence Group