Re: Newbie first-time install advice: Highpoint Rocket 133SB

David Witbrodt wrote:
Stefan O'Rear wrote:

If you have a local network (if you have a router you have a local
network) than you don't need to worry about DSL.  If you have a working
router and a working NIC you have working internet.

  It's not a real router, and I do not have a LAN.  It's a "router"
built-in to the 5100b modem.  A real router allows attachment of
external devices, but this "router" is actually built into the DSL modem
case, making for a different sort of connection to the NIC.  I think it
is the standard SBC (phone company) choice for DSL modems in order to
make their automated Windows installer more trouble-free.
  So, no LAN.

I just moved to an area w/ SBC DSL service.  I had it set up
a couple of weeks ago.  The SpeedStream modem works no problem
with Linux.  Plug it into your NIC, get your IP address through
DHCP and browse to http://192.168.0.1 to set up your connection
and what not.  Works like a champ.

-Roberto Sanchez