Re: usb flash drive fails on front ports

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 11:35:35PM +0930, David Purton wrote:
> Does anyone have an idea why a usb pen drive would be detected and work
> fine using the usb ports on the back of my shuttle xpc SB62G2, but is
> not even detected as plugged in when using the front ports?
>
> Googling suggests that this might be due to some front usb ports not
> delivering enough power to the drive.
>
> Are there any other software problems that might cause this or must I
> just live with it?

I had a similar problem with USB devices about a year ago. Some device
would be recognized if plugged into a front port and not recognized
if plugged into a rear port.

What I conluded was the 2.4.20 through 2.4.25 kernels I was using did
not completely support my motherboard, which has an nVidia nForce2
chipset and USB controller, since switching to a 2.6 kernel fixed the
problem. I am currently using a Debian kernel-image-2.6.5-1-k7. I've
also tried 2.6.7-1-k7 and 2.6.8-1-k7 but have had some problems with
them.

If you have fairly new hardware, your current kernel drivers may not
completely support it.

--
Jerome