Need help XFree86

I have a problem trying to get XFree86 4.X to work on my Compaq Presario 5170. XFree86 3.X works fine. When this machine was running windows, the video adapter was identified as 3D Rage LT Pro. Under Linux, I use the ATI Mach64 driver under XFree86 3.X, so I tried the ATI driver under XFree86 4.X. I get a black screen, it never faults back to text terminal from GDM. I have attached gzipped copies of
my config files, and the error log.

I'm hoping that someone else reading this has already solved this problem for this
machine, as there are many of them out there.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Regards,
  Russ