Re: Gnome

Paul Akkermans wrote:

Hi everyone,
I have installed Gnome through apt-get install gdm. After doing this and after rebooting my debian system I get the following message: I cannot start the x server (your graphical interface) It is likely that it is not set up correctly Would you like to view the x server output to diagnose the problem? (Choises Yes and No). When I press Yes the form which should contain the diagnose is completely empty. The next message (when I press Ok in the empty diagnose form) I get is: I will diable this X server for now. Restart GDM when it is configured correctly. Does anybody know what is wrong and how I can solve this problem? Thanks in advance

gdm is not Gnome; it's only Gnome's GUIfied login manager. I don't think its dependencies pull in a full Gnome setup. You might try "apt-get install gnome". You might also need to "apt-get install x-window-system".

--
Kent