Re: Firefox extensions/themes don't install

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 01:14:09 -0400
Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:49:52 -0500, Jacob S <stormspotter@6texans.net>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 21:32:20 -0400
> >

> > Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > It's probably a permissions thing - isn't it always? - but when I
> > > try to  install Firefox extensions and themes (on debian testing
> > > with firefox 0.9.3), most just fail silently.  I have a feeling
> > > this is a FAQ, but Googling hasn't helped, and there's nothing
> > > obvious (to me) at the extensions and themes sites.  Could someone
> > > just point me in the right direction?
> >
> > You don't mention what you have tried doing to fix this, so I'll
> > start with the basics.
> >
> > Have you checked in Tools - Options (Or Edit - Preferences, it's
> > changed recently) - Web Features to make sure the box is checked for
> > "Allow websites to install software"?
>
> There you go!  I'd unchecked that, thinking it was a bad idea to allow
> websites to install software.  Was I wrong?

Not at all! It's good security to leave it disabled, but you'll need to
enable it while you're installing extensions/themes. As long as you
don't add a wildcard to the allow list that allows any site, you
shouldn't be too bad off.

Once you've installed the extensions and themes you want, it's safe, and
recommended, to turn it back off.

HTH & HAND,
Jacob