apt-get remove doesn't remove daemons

Hi!

apt-get remove in Sarge (fully updated) does not remove (some?) files
from /etc/init.d and links to them from /etc/rc2.d. For example, these two
commands:

apt-get install cpufreqd
apt-get remove cpufreqd

left /etc/init.d/cpufreqd file there, as well as a link to it in rc2.d.
Several other daemons were also left there after apt-get removing them.

Is this behavior 'by design'? If so, where can I read about it? The man page
insists that apt-get remove is 'identicall to install except that packages
are removed instead of installed'. The behavior I'm experiencing does not
support this claim.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Peter