RE: SSH/Putty password problem

Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> with a working SSH client I see this message before each prompt:
>>
>> Postponed keyboard-interactive for ...
>>
>> whereas I see the following message before the second prompt when
>> using PuTTY:
>>
>> Failed keyboard-interactive/pam for ...
>
> That's good detective work.  It seems that PAM doesn't want you to
> try a password more than once?  Have a look in /etc/pam.d/ssh and see
> if you can find the reason.

Someone else suggested this to me as well, but I actually had already looked there.
If the answer lies in that file, it is eluding me.  I haven't modified it since I
installed Sarge.  It includes stuff from /etc/security/limits.conf and
/etc/security/pam_env.conf, both of which are all comments.  It prints some stuff
after a successful login.  Apart from that, it includes the three
/etc/pam.d/common-* files like most every other pam file.

I had also (perhaps mistakenly) discounted /etc/pam.d/ssh as a factor since the
problem doesn't happen with EVERY ssh session...just those coming from PuTTY.  Also,
I should mention that this behavior does not manifest when connecting to an up to
date Woody box.

Thanks for the input...