Japanese characters in firefox

Hi all,

I'm trying to get Firefox set up so it'll display Japanese pages
properly, but I don't seem to be having any luck.

I'm using Firefox 0.9.3 in Sarge.

Whenever I view a page with Japanese characters in it, they get
represented as a box with a four-character alphanumeric (hex?) code in
it.  Here's a screencap:
http://shorty.ca/logs/yahoojp.png

Now, I've installed a bunch of Japanese fonts as instructed here:
http://www.mayin.org/aragorn/Japan/linux.html

And they seem to work ... when I open a kterm window and cat a japanese
text file, it displays fine.

Also, firefox seems to _think_ it's working:  The menu under
View -> Character Encoding shows that it's autodetecting Japanese
(sometimes Unicode, sometimes Shift_JIS), but still I get the same junk
displayed.  Also, manually selecting Unicode or Shift_JIS makes
essentially no difference (The alignment moves around a bit, but I still
get no Japanese characters).

So how do I get this working?

	Cheers!
--
    Dear Lord, never put me in the charge of a frightened human being.