A Little Confused

A little confused by the Debian login process when using a window manager like fluxbox. In the past, I've always started the X window system after a console login and startx after having first written an ~/.xinitrc. I was a little surprized after the Debian installation and the addition of X window system and fluxbox to find myself automatically at a graphical login screen. I assume that xdm is somehow run as a last step of the init process. I've searched and searched the man pages on the various related scripts, Xsession, the xdm scripts and the like and can't find the file that generates the login screen. I'd very much like to improve upon that awful looking gray hash-marked background - something I've done previously via alias lines in ~/.bashrc - but, assuming that xdm generates the login somehow, can't find the file that initiates xdm to fix that either. I'm lost. Might someone step in at this point to help?

jlowell