Re: Preinstalled System

On Monday 20 September 2004 19:02, robin wrote:
> >"Sid" is the testing kernel and is more advanced than
> >"Sarge" and will cause you problems; stay away from
> >that one.
>
> I would disagree. For a production machine definitely but maybe not a
> desktop machine. I have run unstable without any problems for 18 months.
> Maybe I've been lucky but debian in all its forms is one of the most
> stable linux distribution I have run.

I've been using unstable on my dektop for five years now, and I have to
disagree.  It's really a matter of what you're willing to put up with.

Woody, when it was released, was a little of a heartbreak as far as desktop
software goes; much of it was quite outdated when woody was released.  Sarge
is not, and most of the desktop software is very mature.

With sid, I just have gotten tired of things breaking.  It's never anything
crippling, but it gets fatiguing after a while.  Mostly these things show up
when others come over and use my computer, and find that something's broken I
almost never use.  It almost always something i can fix in 10 minutes, but I
don't want to deal with that anymore at all.  I'll definitely be moving to
sarge from sid when it goes stable.

--