Re: K3B equivalent for GNOME

James Cummings wrote:

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 06:17:31 GMT, Juha Siltala <jsiltala@gmx.net> wrote:
On 2004-09-16, michael.sherman@og.ge.com <michael.sherman@og.ge.com> wrote:
I want to try and use GNOME after sometime with KDE.
And I was wondering if there was a GUI equivalent of K3B for the GNOME
desktop.
I'm afraid there isn't. There's xcdroast as others have mentioned. For me,
the only thing it cannot do is burn audio cd's from ogg files, for that
you need mp3burn or to convert your files to wavs by hand. Eroaster is
nice and can do all CD operations (no DVDs), but lately it has been
increasingly buggy (I think it's confused by ATAPI devices under kernel
2.6 or something). The easiest way to burn data CDs in GNOME is directly
from Nautilus.

Then again, K3B runs just fine on GNOME too.

Can anyone recommend something akin to the windows program DVDShrink in debian? For backing up DVDs I tend to use dvdbackup (which sometimes fails to get all of some DVDs), then shrink (dual-layer ones -> single-layer DVD-R) using DVDShrink under vmware. I tried using it under wine but couldn't get it to recognise my DVD-R or DVD-RW drive actually existed. Then I use K3B (which is otherwise excellent) to burn. This is a bit of a circuitous route. I don't want to remove just one track or such. Is there an easier way?

-James

Try looking for a program called DVDRip. I don't know if it does dual-layer, but it does everything. Starts by ripping the DVD, then does Mpeg 4 layer encoding to compress it and split it to however many CDs you want, allows for cropping & resizing, then burns them too.