Re: Bootloader for Sarge

> Matthew Jackson wrote:
>
> I just downloaded the weekly build for Sarge and burnt the first iso.
> The install goes great but when asked to install GRUB, I decide not to
> install to the MBR so it asks me where to install it to. The reason is
> I have XP on one hard disk and Linux on the other hard disk. the linux
> hard disk comes up as 'hdc'. On it I have partitioned it into these:
> /boot 250mb
> /tmp 750mb
> /var 1gb
> / 10gb
> /usr 20gb
> swap 1gb
> /home remainder ~40gb
>
> in that order. I tell the debian installer to install GRUB into
> /dev/hdc1 meaning the /boot partition. I want to use the NTLDR so it
> does not mess with windows MBR. I then have installed bootpart onto my
> xp drive and added to boot.ini the 250mb (/boot) linux drive as read
> here: http://www.aboutdebian.com/dualboot.htm In bootpart my /boot is
> number 2.
>
> So is it the debiban installer not putting it where I want or is it
> bootpart not finding it?

What are the contents of your boot.ini file? It's just a simple text
file, so you could post it here.

There needs to be an entry for Debian in there, and it has to refer to a
file containing the contents of the /boot partition's boot sector (a 512
byte file). And of course, that boot sector file has to contain stage 1
of Grub - which it should if you told the Debian installer to install
Grub to /dev/hdc1.

What happens when you try to boot Debian? Is there an entry for Debian
on the Windows boot menu?

Tom