invisible mailboxes in evolution

I'm using Debian Testing, and it's been working for about the last eight
months w/o too much issue.  I have a sudden problem now though, that
being that I can open Evolution and see the summary, calendar, and task
pages, but nothing with an email in it  (drafts/sent/trash/inbox/etc.).
Clicking on one of those folders presents me with an empty window pane,
with just the std search bar at the top present for that display.

I've checked everything I can think of, including verifying I had no
hidden messages.

I thought perhaps I'd muffed my $home/evolution directory, so backed the
current one up, and restored from a month's old backup.  Same exact
problem, though the display no longer recognized that I had any unread
emails.

Debian Testing, Evolution 1.4.6, Gnome 2.6

I'd appreciate any tips or help.

Thanks, Paul