Re: [exim4debian] Re: Debian-exim - blech!

Marc Haber writes:
>On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 10:26:01PM +0100, Oliver Elphick wrote:
>>
>> I never did understand: what was the problem with "mail"?
>
>First, installing exim4 would probably re-use the account "mail" which
>might be assigned to a user. This might grant excessive rights to that
>user (for example, access rights to the mail queue).
>
>Second, purging exim4 in such a situation could lead to all files
>belonging to that user to be deleted.

Do you actually have any evidence that this has caused problems? Exim
3 in woody used the "mail" user just fine for most people...

"I suspect most samba developers are already technically insane... Of
 course, since many of them are Australians, you can't tell." -- Linus Torvalds