Re: Bootloader for Sarge

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 01:39:23PM -0700, Matthew Jackson wrote:
> I just downloaded the weekly build for Sarge and burnt the first iso.
> The install goes great but when asked to install GRUB, I decide not
> to install to the MBR so it asks me where to install it to. The
> reason is I have XP on one hard disk and Linux on the other hard disk.
> the linux hard disk comes up as 'hdc'.
> I tell the debian installer to install GRUB into /dev/hdc1 meaning the
> /boot partition. I want to use the NTLDR so it does not mess with
> windows MBR. I then have installed bootpart onto my xp drive and added
> to boot.ini the 250mb (/boot) linux drive as read here:
> http://www.aboutdebian.com/dualboot.htm In bootpart my /boot is number
> 2.
>
> So is it the debiban installer not putting it where I want or is it
> bootpart not finding it?
>
> Any help? Hope I was clear with everything.

  Since GRUB has another naming scheme for the drives, I am not sure if
you can ask the Debian installer to put it on hdc.
  If no one comes with a better answer, I would create a boot floppy
with GRUB on it, and then try the following steps:
1. Boot into the floppy, and use the manual method in order to try and
   boot debian. This should teach you the commands that GRUB needs to
   boot debian.
2. Try to make the NTLDR use that floppy.