Re: Will Debian have libstdc++.so.5 soon?

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 03:59:19PM -0700, Eric Dickner wrote:
> I have an application that was developed on RedHat
> that is calling for it.  Apparently Debian doesn't
> have it yet, at least I can't seem to find it as a
> package.
>

> Does Debian lag behind RedHat on a lot of things like
> this and if so by how long?
>
> Is it worth getting the .rpm and "alien"'ing it over?
> Is it likely to be the first of many missing library
> errors and I should just give up on this application?

What lag :)

You likely don't have the right package installed.

libstdc++5-3.3-dev - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (development files)
libstdc++5 - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
libstdc++5-3.3-doc - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (documentation files)

I have all three packages installed, and I have
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.5

Are you using Debian Potato (2.2) or earlier?

Debian 3.0 (released 2002) has libstdc++5.

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER