partition/grub errors w/sarge iso

Hey I posted a couple weeks ago about not being able to boot w/grub after installing from a sarge iso. I wound up returning the drive b/c I thought it was bad. I got a new one in yesterday and I'm still having the same problems.

install root to hdb1.
install grub to hdb1.
reboot
grub fails, machine locks

When I did an install w/one of the older woody CDs I did not have these problems. My suspicion is that the partitions are being created incorrectly.

Has anyone else run into any problems like this lately?