Re: cdrecord does not work as ordinary user in kernel 2.6.8-1-686

--- "H. S." <greatexcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Zachary Rizer wrote:
>

> > This is a known issue. You need to upgrade your
> kernel
> > to 2.6.9-rcX, or downgrade to 2.6.7.X.  Some
> details
> > here: http://k3b.plainblack.com/index.pl/news2
> (under
> > "Do not use kernel 2.6.8") or more at google.com,
> I'm
> > sure.
>
> Under the same section on that webpage:
> Update 3: Be aware that kernel 2.6.8 also contains
> the memory leak which
> makes it impossible to write audio cds, even as
> root.
>
> shudderrr ... o boy. I was thining of copying 3
> audio CD I just bought
> but was just putting it off till got some really
> free time. Good thing
> here I delayed :)
>
> Okay, so if I now go home and install 2.6.7, should
> I expect any other
> issues with it? I mean, does this kernel perform as
> well as the 2.4.26
> or it lacks something there too?
>
> Thanks for your pointer,
> ->HS
>

> --

I'm fairly certain that you should have no issues with
2.6.7, and should notice some performance increases
over 2.4.26, but it really depends on the hardware,
and how the user(s) use it.  2.6, as evidenced in this
2.6.8-cdburn debacle, is far from being a stable
kernel.  I would only upgrade from 2.4.26 if you want
to try things out such as anticipatory schedulers, or
you have hardware that only works in 2.6 (rare) or
you're not shy about recompiling once every few weeks
once a new one comes out. :)

Good luck,
~Zaq