Re: [exim4debian] Re: Debian-exim - blech!

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 10:00:36AM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 07:55:48PM -0700, exim4@pacbell.net wrote:
> > ok, I know this has been brought up on the list, but I just want to vent my
> > frustration at this fine distribution picking such a horrible username for
> > exim4!
> >
> > Sheesh! I mean, the maintainers do a fine job otherwise, but I can't believe
> > that this package is going into sarge this way.

Please see the README.Debian-exim file included with the package, or
on http://q.bofh.de/~mh/stuff/README.Debian-accountname.

> > blech...
> >
> I believe this was done because there is some Debian policy that a
> weird user name must be created in this case.

No, the weird account name was chosen in absense of a formal policy
to minimize the chance of clashes with account names deliberately
created by the local admin.

Greetings
Marc

Karlsruhe, Germany |  lose things."    Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 721 966 32 15
Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 721 966 31 29