Re: Locked out! How to circumvent password urgently?

On 17 Sep 2004, Andrea Vettorello wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:39:41 +0100, Anthony Campbell
> <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
> > I can't access my laptop because neither the user nor the root passwords
> > work. I can only think I was hacked last night.
> >
> > I can't access via single user either.
> >
> > I can get into the system via knoppix. Are there any files in /etc I can
> > delete in order to make the system accessible without a password?
> >
> > This is REALLY urgent because I must use the machine tomorrow, so if all
> > else fails I shall have to reinstall the system.
> >

> Mmh, edit /etc/passwd  (or /etc/shadow), the second field (after the
> username) is the hashed passwd, delete it and at next login you only
> need to press enter.
>

> Andrea

Thanks to both for prompt replies. I had tried editing /etc/shadow but
it still didn't boot for some reason. However I found a file called
/etc/shadow- and replaced /etc/shadow with that, and it then worked with
the previous password, so the day seems to be saved.

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic