Re: gconf schemas in /etc

Once upon a time Andrea Vettorello said...
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:21:34 +1000, Cameron Hutchison <camh+dl@xdna.net> wrote:
> > I like to run a lean root filesystem - I have separate partitions for
> > /home, /tmp, /usr and /var. I've noticed that I'm getting quite tight on
> > space on my root fs, and looking around for why, I've noticed that
> > /etc/gconf is taking up 24MB.
>
> Probably not related, anyway you can look for orphaned packages
> (usually libraries) with "deborphan" or purging unwanted locales with
> "localepurge". I'm using them without problems, but read carefully the
> recommendations of the above packages cause they can create breakage
> in your system...

I keep my system pretty lean. I use aptitude and have all packages
properly marked as auto/noauto, so I should have no cruft left lying
around. I always purge packages and regularly check for removed packages
and purge them.

So the stuff in /etc/gconf is for packages installed. I can't reduce the
bloat by removing unwanted packages.