Re: Fresh install of Sarge, need some help

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:10:02 -0500, Andrew Konosky
<terranace007@comcast.net> wrote:
> I just finished a net-install of Debian 3.1 "Sarge," and I will be using
> Gnome as my default desktop since it runs better on my slow computer.
> First of all, how do I disable password protected shutdown so that users
> can reboot the machine?

You can configure "gdm" to permit your users to reboot/shutdown.

> Second, my video card is not detected right. It is an ATI Rage128 AIW. I
> had to manually add resolutions into the XF86Config-4, but I am only
> able to use 1024x768 and below, rather than the 1280x960 & 1152x864 I
> also added. This is fine, but I want the refresh rate at 75hz, but I
> only have the option for 60hz. How do I add in a 75hz refresh rate to
> the XF86Config-4, or even better, get Debian to detect my video card
> properly?

Ati Rage 128 should have no problem to work, if xserver is installed
with (IIRC) "discover" and "read-edid" it should configure your system
with a reasonable default (i'm not sure, but this worked only if it
was the first install, i.e. without configuration present). The faster
way, IMHO, is reconfiguring your X configuration ("dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86"), and when asked insert your monitor min and max V/H
frequency...

> Third, I have no sound. I installed the Alsa packages, but it says that
> there are no detected devices. The sound is a standard PCI128D onboard
> chipset, so how do I set this up?

With "lspci" command you have more info about your chipset, then with
"alsaconf" you look for the chipset present in your board. You can
look on http://www.alsa-project.org to be sure your card works with
alsa...

--
Andrea