gconf schemas in /etc

I like to run a lean root filesystem - I have separate partitions for
/home, /tmp, /usr and /var. I've noticed that I'm getting quite tight on
space on my root fs, and looking around for why, I've noticed that
/etc/gconf is taking up 24MB.

Most of this appears to be schemas, which are not configuration data,
but just describe the structure of config data.

Why is this in /etc? Shouldn't it belong in /usr/share?

Alternatively is there a way to pare down the schemas? Most of the space
seems to be taken up with descriptions in multiple languages. Is there a
way to strip out all but english?