Re: Help: incorrect kernel version

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:31:16 +0100, Daniel Berhane <daniel@yodit.com> wrote:
> I am running a dedicated server on Debian Linux kernel version
> 2.4.18200310143.
>
> Recently, while I was trying to install a new software from the
> UNSTABLE  distribution, I may have messed up my kernel. Now, when I
> enter commands such as "ps" in  the command shell, I am getting the
> following warning message:
>
> Warning: /boot/System.map-2.4.18200310143 has an incorrect kernel version.
>
> The dedicated server has started to shutdown for some strange reason and
> I suspect that the above problem maybe to blame for it as well. Is there
> a way to resolve this "incorrect kernel version" problem, by using the
> apt-get command. I have few websites and a database running on the
> dedicated server. Do I have to start allover and reload the Debian
> operating?
>
> I am a new Debian user and I would be very grateful for your advice and
> help.

IIRC 2.4.18 kernel has a local root vulnerability and if the number
attached is a date, probably isn't patched. With "apt-get search
kernel-image" to see what kernel package are available, and "apt-get
install package-name" to install it, after that you need to check for
your boot manager (lilo or grub) to boot the new kernel...

--
Andrea