Network setup problems

Hi All,

I have a Win2K laptop with a full computer name like henry.workdomain.com
and a domain name like workdomain.com. This gets assigned an automatic ip
address anytime I log onto the work network.

I have a small linux network at home and I wanted to setup samba to be
able to use the laptop at home to share files on it. For this reason, I
assigned a static ip address to it as follows:

  ip address: 192.168.0.5
  subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
  default gateway: 192.168.0.1

I have edited /etc/hosts and included the appropriate lines on the linux server
and also I have the same entries in the hosts file on Win2K.

On the linux box, if I try to ping the Win2K laptop, I get the following:

PING laptop.network.home (192.168.0.5): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Operation not permitted
ping: wrote laptop.network.home 64 chars, ret=-1

On the Win2K machine, the following is what I get:
 Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
 Request timed out.

I am not sure what I have done wrong, and this seems to be very basic stuff.
Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Regards
Ogya

Get picture messages that say it all at MSN Mobile Fun! http://ringtones.msn.co.za/