Re: Nikon Coolpix 990 USB with kernels 2.6.X

Alan E. Davis wrote:

> Can someone correspond about how to use photopc and xphoto (no debian
> package I think) to communicate with this camera over USB?
>
> Somewhere along the line, a package is mentioned that would set the
> permissions for the usb devices in /proc/bus/usb/, but that package isn't
> any longer available either as a package, or, apparently, on an
> independent site that was referred to "somewhere."  The package was called
> "usb-permissions".
>
> Any, can this camera be used and controlled remotely from a debian box
> with output over the TV, pictures taken and camera focused through the
> above named packages?  Is it necessary to use kernels 2.4.X?
>
> Thank you very much, in advance, for any advice,

Hi, no package was necessary to get a Nikon Coolpix 4300 USB working on
kernel 2.6.7.  This camera is probably similar to yours.  This worked in my
case:

Plug the camera into the USB port and turn it on.  As root, type
# dmesg
If it was detected, it will show up at the bottom of the listing.

# fdisk -l
This shows where the USB mass storage device is.  Use this info to update
fstab to mount the device.

Update /etc/fstab to include a line like:
/dev/sda1 /mnt/coolpix   vfat   noauto,umask=000   0   0

Create the mount point that fstab will use:
# mkdir /etc/coolpix

Then mount the drive, you should have access to your images:
$ mount /dev/sda1
or
$ mount -a

The drive needs to be unmounted before turning it the camera off and
unplugging it (I believe there is a risk of disk data corruption
otherwise).

Sorry, can't help with using the camera remotely or sending the images to TV
output.

Steve