Re: installation dies on ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6

FireBright, Inc. wrote:
Howdy list!

Howdy and welcome.

I'm trying to get Debian to install
The installation dies on both the image of cd1 and the netboot
Now, I have an Intel d865gbf motherboard with a 3.2 1 meg p4 in it,
and about a gig of ram.  I've got an OEM Dell DVD+ drive in there, and
a single onboard 250GB WD SATA drive hooked up to onboard controller

The keyword is SATA. SATA support depends strongly on kernel version; you need either a 2.6.* kernel or a fairly recent 2.4.*. It also depends heavily on the chipset/controller. I think you have the same ICH5 as I do. You can find lots of good info by searching the archives for threads with SATA in the subject. Another good link is:

http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

You don't say what version of Debian you're installing. If it's Woody then the default kernel is way too old. You'll need to find a more recent kernel (sorry, I'm out of touch with what's best currently).

Perhaps the best thing to do if you're just trying to get a feel for whether you like Debian is to install Knoppix. It is based on Debian and can be upgraded to native Debian, but it will install easily and should detect all your hardware.

Cheers, Dave