installation dies on ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6

Howdy list!

I'm moving on up from Redhat, and I'm trying to get Debian to install
on my nice shiny new linux machine.  I had no problems installing
Mandrake 10 tonight, but decided I didn't like the distribution.  Too
"windowsy". ;-)

The installation dies on both the image of cd1 and the netboot
installer I grabbed on the line:

ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6

Now, I have an Intel d865gbf motherboard with a 3.2 1 meg p4 in it,
and about a gig of ram.  I've got an OEM Dell DVD+ drive in there, and
a single onboard 250GB WD SATA drive hooked up to onboard controller
1.  Nothing fancy.  There are 2 onboard pci (simple 16 mg affairs used
to drive external "nagios monitors").  I've yanked them out. No
difference.

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bf/

Now, I suspect that the disk controller isn't support or something,
but I just don't know.  I'm banging my head on it all night.

I would love some input from the more seasoned jockeys.  Have I just
gotten ahead of the developers again, or is this something that can be
solved with some kind of kernel parameter?

Thanks tons,

Jonathan
--
-----