Re: Sarge install hangs on ide-cd detection?

On Monday 13 September 2004 16:12, Olav wrote:
> Has anyone experienced any problems with the installation of Sarge,
> kernel 2.6? I have used a "businesscard" iso version of Sarge to try.

I've never used the businesscard version, but I've used the regular version
and net install, both with no problems.

> If I boot from the cdrom and install the default 2.4 everything goes
> smooth and without any problems. System is up & running in no time.
>
> When I try the same with the 2.6 kernel the installation program boots
> quickly, I can make several selections, seems allright, but... when it's
> going into hardware detection it just stalls at around 87% while trying
> the "ide-cd" module.
>
> Should I try another Sarge cd? Bootfloppies or Netinst? Newer version?
> This one I downloaded only a week ago. Or do I in fact have a cdrom
> drive that is not compatible with 2.6?
>
> TIA

If you can spare the time, why not try and install the system with a 2.4
kernel, and then upgrade to a 2.6?  If the 2.6 does work, you can check out
access to your cd-rom.  If all goes well, record the interrupts used,
modules, module options (if any), etc.  Then, try the 2.6 kernel in expert
mode.  Armed with your working config knowledge, you may be able to get it
to work.

Regardless of whether or not it works, you might want to file a bug report
on the installer.  It would help if you could tell them what you had to do
to get the installer to work (or to get the 2.6 kernel to work).

The other thing you could do is install 2.6 in expert mode, and don't load
the offending module.

Justin Guerin