Re: raid barfs at startup with 2.6 kernel

On Tuesday 14 September 2004 07:21, Blake Swadling wrote:
> OK, firstly i will say i know bugger all about the way raid works.
> however i have managed to set up, both running software raid (raid0).
> one uses 2 SATA drives and the other has 2 ATA drives
>
> When I upgrade to kernel 2.6.* the raid barfs on both machines with the
> following errors
>
> [snip error messages]
>
> If i manually start run mdadm and raid2 and then do mount -a on both
> machines the scripts after logging in then all is fine.  mdadm-raid
> always fails hence the use of raidtools. All packages are up to date.
>
> It appears to me that the raid as trying to start before the modules are
> present. Has anyone seen this?   how do i get it to load correctly now.
>
> Cheers
>
> Blake

You don't indicate how you are upgrading the kernel, but if you're using the
precompiled Debian kernels, you will need to make sure the raid drivers are
included in the initial ram disk.  "man mkinitrd" will help you here.

If you have compiled your kernel yourself, did you either A) compile in all
raid / filesystem support you need or B) add the modules you need to the
initial ram disk?

If you've done the above and are still seeing problems, check out the list
archives for threads on moving the raid start back in the boot sequence.
I'm sorry I don't have the link available.

If none of this helps, please be more specific with your configuration,
differences between what works and what doesn't, and what you've tried so
far.

Justin Guerin