Re: Screen setup

On Tuesday 14 September 2004 04:06, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> A friend has asked me to put Debian on his Sony Vaio. Things are going very
> well except for the monitor setup. I'm using the Debian Installer
> BusinessCard installer to put Sarge on (as it's about to become the stable
> version, this seems right for him.)
>
> The problem is that the monitor detection is only getting a small square in
> the center of his screen for the display. Over half the screen is unused;
> it's a large blank margin around the actual display. I haven't reached the
> running of X yet, but I'm expecting it to be the same. I'm coming from a
> SuSE background. If I were using SuSE, I'd run either Yast or Sax and
> correct the configuration. As ashamed as I am to admit it, I don't have a
> clue how to address this without those tools.
>
> Could someone point me in the right direction to correct this? Would really
> appreciate it.

Sounds like the resolution selected in the XFree86 configuration doesn't match
the resolution of the screen itself.  If you look in the /etc/X11/XF86Config
file, towards the bottom there are sections about screen resolution.  If you
change those around to the actual resolution of the screen it should be ok.

--
Tom Wesley <tom@tomaw.org>