Re: please recommand a media reader

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 09:36:09PM -0400, Tom Vier wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 02:14:31AM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > When you consider hardware for linux, you do not look for 'linux
> > compatible' on the box (maybe in a few rare cases). Linux supports
> > chipsets. If the device has chipset XYZ and there is a driver/kernel
> > module for chipset XYZ, bingo! you have a 90% chance that it will work
> > out of the box. Now you may need to do a few incantation to get it to
> > work! but that where 'debian tech support' comes in :-)
>
> i'm not a newbie, but thanks for the reply. the problem is a lot of hw
> doesn't tell you what it really is. especially cheap usb stuff.

Hi Tom,
its not always easy to determine if a first timer is a computer newbie, linux newbie or a debian newbie, so I try to gague by who the question was asked.
On your point, yes, there is not always specs available and also
sometimes chips are changed. People in my wifi lug talk about this!
But the last resort is a good return policy with no restocking fee.
usb hw are not going to be damaged like a bike or pair of shoes, so
you should be able to pack it back up with ease.
A good reason to use 'superstores' as they tend of absorb loss easier.
-Kev
--

        (__)
        (oo)