Re: GRUB issues

c0ldfusi0n wrote:

Hey all.

I recently made an update of apt followed by an upgrade and rebooted. GRUB then gave me this error:

GRUB loading stage1.5...
GRUB loading please wait...
Error 15

Now as far as i know, the error code 15 stands for "File not found". I tried booting with the grub bootdisk and do:
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/2.4.25-eb-cfbox
But that gave me another file not found error, so i did
kernel (hd0,0)/[TAB] and the only thing that got displayed is the "lost+found" directory with a bunch of "#XXXXXXX" files in it, seems like it's the only thing left in the system. I'm sure (hd0,0) is the good device since when i "root" it, it tells me that the FS is ext2fs.

Now, i would really like to be able to boot my box again without losing the precious data i have on it, most importantly a coding job i spent weeks making. I've been told to use Knoppix to chroot to /dev/hda1 and then do "grub-install", "grub" and the root and kernel commands i showed above, but i burned "KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso" two times (one at 24x the other at 8x) and it doesn't boot, even though the ISO is detected to be bootable (yes the bios is set correctly).

Has anyone got a clue on how i could fix/minimize the damages?

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.

Do not do anything that involves writing to that drive until you have successfully read it. IE on no account go reinstalling grub.

It sounds like your system is hosed, and the Knoppix CD is a sound way to boot something else so you can inspect the drive.

You can also try booting a Sarge install CD, but I don't think there's anything wrong with Knoppix 3.6 (I can boot my CD fine), but testing _that_ on another box is a good idea.

So is attaching your HDD to another machine, maybe in a USB enclosure, booting K on that...

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait