Wordpress installation problems

Hi,

I am having difficulty in getting wordpress installed and in a useable state.  The apt-get process completed successfully, but the post install configuration is giving me problems.
I was able to complete the 3 step setup process as indicated via the web interface, but when I try to login as admin with the supplied password, I get a message on my browser that says:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare __() (previously declared in /var/www/wordpress/wp-includes/wp-l10n.php:35) in /usr/share/wordpress/wp-includes/wp-l10n.php on line 35

Looks like there's an overlap in the declarations somewhere, but I know nothing about php, so if someone can help with this, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Jerry