Re: Gimp 1.2 and 2 together?

Putting this back on the mailing list, where it belongs. Don't CC me and
definitely don't reply off-list.

On 9/13/2004, "(Piotr Kopszak)" <kopszak@mnw.art.pl> wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 10:07:18AM -0400, Johann Koenig wrote:
>> On Monday September 13 at 03:23pm
>> Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Seems to work on my Sarge system. Try
>> >
>> > apt-get --dry-run install gimp1.2 gimp
>>
>> Too bad gimp1.2 is just a transitional package:
>> jkoenig@note:~$ apt-cache search -n ^gimp
>> gimp - The GNU Image Manipulation Program, stable version 2.0
>> gimp1.2 - Transitional dummy package for upgrading The GIMP
>> jkoenig@note:~$
>>
>> The OP would be better off building from source and putting it in
>> /usr/local/ (perhaps with --program-suffix=1.2 or some such)
>> --
>> -johann koenig
>
>Exactly, that's the obvious solution. I hoped that there might be
>another more debianish way to do that.

There may be: obtain the last sources for 1.2 (snapshot.debian.net or
something, I haven't used it in a while) and figure out the
debian/rules stuff to build it yourself. It might conflict with the
installed gimp though, so you'll have to work that out yourself. Check
out backports.org (I think, haven't ever used it) for directions on
compiling, they might have something like a tutorial.
--
-Johann Koenig