problem installing a new kernel

Okay, I'm in the process of installing a new kernel (from 2.20 to 2.4.18) and I modified /etc/lilo.conf to have the initrd.img file, however, I can't find anywhere on the drive a copy of the initrd.img file for the 2.20 kernel.

Is there a place to download, or a way to re-create the image file so it can be used?

If I try to use the 2.4.18 kernel, with the image file, It's a complete mess, with dozens of errors. Plus the ethernet card stops working. (One error is that it cant' find it)

Scott Mohnkern