Re: change hostname

Mark Par wrote:

On Mon, Sep 13 08:01:54 +0200 2004, Víctor A. Ramos wrote:
I have a Debian GNU/Linux installed on my compute, and I want to change the hostname of this machine. Can someone tell me how can this be done?

You can change it using hostname(1). If you want it to be persistent meaning, it sets the hostname everytime you restart, set it in /etc/hostname.

Be aware that there may be other config files in /etc that contain the hostname. I believe Woody (or maybe Potato) had it scattered in various places, like exim's config file and the issue file, etc. So you might want to do a grep through /etc for your current hostname.

--
Kent