Re: playing DVD movies and .avi files

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 0:10:31 UTC, Tom Kuiper <tbhk@dsnra.jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Greetings everyone!
>
> I have a camera which has the option of producing .avi movie files.  I also
> have some movie DVDs I'd like to play.  Some Web searching turned up
> cinelerria.  There is an .rpm package at
> aleron.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/heroines/cinelerra-1.2.0-1.i386.rpm
> but that has become a quagmire.
>
> The short question is: are there any other packages I can use?

My favorite is mplayer. It is just an awesome package and can play
every video format I can think of. Add the following line to
/etc/apt/sources.list and install the corresponding package    which
matches with your architecture.

deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main

Everything should be fine once you install it. If you have trouble
getting the movie in full screen, check the -vo option in the manual
page and choose a different output plugin.

hth
raju