Re: Gnome

On Saturday 11 September 2004 19:14, Paul Akkermans wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have installed Gnome through apt-get install gdm. After doing this and
> after rebooting my debian system I get the following message:
Hello,

Just 1 or 2 remarks if it can help you find a solution.
First, you don't install gnome through apt-get install gdm, you just install
the Gnome Display Manager: "
  totoro% apt-cache search gdm
  gdm - GNOME Display Manager
"

> I cannot start the x server (your graphical interface) It is likely that it
> is not set up correctly Would you like to view the x server output to
> diagnose the problem? (Choises Yes and No). When I press Yes the form which
> should contain the diagnose is completely empty. The next message (when I
> press Ok in the empty diagnose form) I get is: I will diable this X server
> for now. Restart GDM when it is configured correctly. Does anybody know
> what is wrong and how I can solve this problem?
You could check the X log here: /var/log/
The file is /var/log/XFree86.0.log on my "unstable".
  % tail /var/log/XFree86.0.log
will show you what happened (unless your log is really empty?)

And you ought to specify if you had X working before you instaled gdm.

Cheers,
Sylvain.

--
wxWidgets config: WX 2.4.2 / GTK 2 / gcc 3.3.3

La lingvo internacia: http://uea.org/index.html