Real translucency in X.org?

Hi group,

With all those posts about the freedesktop.org/x.org server, I'm
wondering... What's the fuss all about? Yes, I know it's very nice, but
why do people really want to use it _now_? I'm really looking forward to
the shadowing and the real translucency (especially translucent eterm
windows, :-) but I can only enjoy translucency when eterm is patched to
use the new X extensions, right? So what are the _real_ benefits of
running the x.org server right now?

Thanks,

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!