Re: wireless lan

Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
Hi!

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 05:26:46PM +0100, john gennard wrote:

I want to connect to a neighbour's network to use his adsl connection
for large downloads.

Presumably he knows that ;-)
Yes, it was his idea!
I have a Usb Belkin Adaptor (F5D6050) which works fine in W2000,
but I need it in Sarge with a 2.4 kernel that I shall soon change to a 2.6
one, and also in Sid with a 2.6.7 kernel.

?? some=soon?
Either due to my arthritis or a new problem of failing eyesight!
This is an atmel-based chipset - I *think* i had that working under 2.4,
but I've been running 2.6 for a long time... and my wireless cards
(atmel based too) work fine under 2.6.5
I hoped (tongue in cheek) that it is atmel based, but I have seen references to the fact
that earlier Belkin Adaptors had prism chipsets. The Adaptor was given to me and I
couldn't establish its age.
I've been unable to find a newbie type howto showing, what are the kernel
requirements, what to put into /etc/networks/ and so on. At the moment I
seem unable to get either installation to recognize that the Adaptor is
there at all. 'wireless-tools' is installed but 'iwconfig'  says no
wireless extensions.

What about:
    http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~jmahler/howto/SMC.html
?

(first hit on google when searching for "atmel howto")
Many thanks - this is really helpful. At first glance it seems now I may be able to
get somewhere. All my googling was for wireless lan configuration (from scratch).
I'll recompile the kernel in Sid first and see where I get to.

Both kernels are those with the installs (ie I've not yet done any
recompile - am waiting to see what is required).  It does seem,
however, that everything except the kitchen sink is selected as a
module.
This was misleading - what I meant was I've done no recompile on the new installs.
Normally, I don't have problems with re/compiling, it's just that I prefer to include in all
important stuff (avoiding modules as much as possible) and wanted to establish exactly
what I needed for the connection.
Kernel compiles aren't difficult - and even easier under 2.6. Lots of
howtos out there, e.g.:

    http://www.desktop-linux.net/debkernel.htm

I've spent hours in googling - there's a mass of information, but nothing at
elementary level where I need to start. I think the driver I may require is
the atmel at76c503 unless there's one already available in the kernels.
I've ploughed through Jean Touttilhes' vast output and understand some
of it, but not exactly where to start. There's much more,  but no overall
step by step.

I went through that a while back - and it turned out to be easy. As far
as I understand, the atmel chipset is supported natively under newer
kernels, but I have not yet ventured there

Hope this helps
Yes, it most certainly does. Most stuff I could find seemed to relate to laptops.

Again, my thanks.

John.