Re: Dual Boot Problem

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:18:45AM -0400, Patrick Moroney wrote:
> I'm trying to install Debian Sarge stable as a second operating

Sarge is not yet "stable"---still "testing"

> system on a 200 gig drive and not having a lot of success.  The
> installation goes fine; I install Lilo in the MBR, the system
> goes for a reboot and then I get the following errors upon reboot:
>

> request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
> VFS: Cannot open root device "302" or 03:02
> Kernel panic: VFS Unable to mount root fs on 03:02

What kernel?
Self compiled or from installation?
What are your lilo/grub lines to the kernel?

> Please note, the reboot is unsuccessful, I never get to the step
> where it asks to set up mail or create a root password.  I just
> get the above message.  I can't scroll up to see any of the other
> messages.
>
> To recover and make the system so that I can at least boot back
> into windows is using a dos boot disk, do a "fdisk /mbr" - clear
> out the MBR, and then using debian's fdisk, blow away debian
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ok, I understand fixing the MBR to boot XP again, but why rm debian?
I don't understand this problem.  It is sufficient to just restore the
MBR and mark windows as bootable.

> partions, and mark the windows NTFS as bootable.  This has worked
> many times being as I've tried Lilo, Grub, and GAG as boot
> loaders - all successful.
>
> The machine is x86 box with ASUS motherboard, AMD 1800 CPU, gig
> of RAM, ATI video card, and Audigy sound card.  Windows occupies
> the first 35 gig of the 200 gig board.
>
> Should I make the system so that it will only boot into debian
> with a floppy?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Why not just boot from a rescue disk (I think most/all install disks can
be used as rescue disks also--check the boot options) and fix the lilo
install so you can boot windows also?  This at least fixes your boot
options until you figure out the debian install problem.

Alternately, I think XP allows you to create a boot menu that will boot
another OS in its own partition (never tried this so can't vouch for how
well it works).

HTH

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.